Friday, February 18, 2011

No Phones, No Lights, No Motor Cars...

Well, okay, maybe it's not quite that bad.  Living without phones and internet for the past few days has been like being in the dark ages.  We have become so dependent on communication technology that when we don't have it, life comes to a standstill!

The children and I did make it safely to England on Wednesday morning.  The flight was uneventful, even slept a bit.  Made it off the plane and through customs with no problems.  Loaded our 6 suitcases onto a "trolley" and made it out of the airport to find John and Anne and Jim waiting for us.  I was greeted with a "well done, Patti" and realized what I had actually just accomplished!  We loaded the suitcases into our new BMW estate car, aka station wagon, and piled into the McDermott's Range Rover, and we were off.  We arrived at the house about an hour later.  Anne had done some shopping for us so we had a few necessities in the house.  We bid so long to the McDermott's, I turned around, went up the stairs and fell into bed!  Yes, I know that you're supposed to stay awake, but that just wasn't going to happen.  I only slept for an hour :)  Evie and I then took a walk to the local Sainsbury's pronounced Sainesbrie to purchase a few cleaning supplies and then came back and went to town on the house. 

Since then, we have made several more trips to Sainsbury's, a trip to Argos ( a catalog store), and various other stores to collect items for setting up the house.  I'm still trying to unpack the suitcases but we are short on storage space so I have to come up with some creative ideas for putting stuff away.  I would post some pics, but the camera was smashed on the trip over and will need to be fixed before I can use it.  The kids are on their third day without tv and haven't gone mad or combusted.  We feel lucky about that.  Evie is already complaining she is bored, so I may have to fly Kelly over so she has someone to play with.  She's about to drive Jack and Kim crazy. 

John has been driving all around the city.  The roads around here are more than a bit confusing.  I will stick to walking.  As if the whole driving on the wrong side of the road wasn't enough, they have these round abouts everywhere.  You have to be in a certain lane to go in a certain direction, and no one stops, everyone just keeps going.  I've closed my eyes more than a few times and screeched once or twice.

The plan for tomorrow is to head up to the McDermott's which should be a wonderful drive through the countryside.  I look forward to getting out of the house for awhile and so do the kids. 

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a successful journey! What a fun adventure!! Try cider (it's alcoholic) at the pub and bangers and mash, sheppard's pie with a pint. Yum. Are you all invited to the royal wedding??

    ReplyDelete