Friday, April 15, 2011

Black is the New England

I made an observation the other day as I was walking through Reading. Everyone around me was wearing black or gray (grey? ...whatev). At first I thought I was imagining it. Then I started really looking for someone with some color in their clothing. It became almost comical in my mind, "OK, the next guy I see when I round this corner will be wearing ... nope it's gray."

At one point I crossed this open shopping street where I could see about 100 people at a glance. There ... amidst the grayscale crowd ... a pink jumper (that's hoodie or sweatshirt to you colonials). I laughed. She reminded me of that scene in Schindler's List where they colorized the one little girl. It was quite strange.

Sure, there are jeans, lots of them, and they are blue. But I am serious when I say that you can leave the house and never see a green shirt or a red coat on anybody. Just forget about chartreuse, turquoise, or whatever the heck aubergine is -- they didn't make it through customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment