Monday, June 13, 2011

Tate Modern and Shakespears Globe

To finish the torturing of my middle child, we ventured out on Sunday to the Tate Modern.  The goal was to finish our romp through Britain's most famous works of art.  We saw a couple Picasso's, a Monet, looked all over for a Dali (never actually found it), and saw a big pile of gravel that had a gallery all to itself.  That had us scratching our heads.  Modern art really is quite different from the classics.  I have to admit that I didn't find it quite as interesting as the masterpieces we saw at the National Gallery. 







After leaving the Tate, a half a block down the street was Shakespear's Globe Theater.  If you know me very well, you know that I am a huge fan of Wills.  I won't pretend to have read every play, but I do have my favorites and I'm quite loyal to them.  Now, this Globe is not the original, it burnt down back in the 1600's after a special effects person fired a cannon out of the attic of the theater during a play.  One of the sparks from the explosion ignited the thatched roof and within 2 hours the theater was gone.  Luckily no one was injured, although one man's trousers did catch on fire.  A fellow theater patron who was partaking in a pint kindly dumped his beer on the man trousers and, all's well that ends well.







The children enjoyed going to The Globe so much that they want to go back and see a play.  We're going to try to make that happen, though time is running short.

It was another rainy day in London, really ready to go home to the sun!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment